Personal Injury FAQ

When you are involved in an accident due to the wrongdoing or negligence of another, you likely have many questions. At Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC, we are dedicated to representing Tennessee residents who have been hurt in personal injury incidents. Check out our personal injury FAQ for questions Tennessee residents are asking as it may be of help to you.

I was injured in an accident. Should I get a personal injury lawyer?

If you are involved in an accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, it is a good idea to get a personal injury lawyer. This is because oftentimes the insurance companies will try to get you to take a lesser amount than what is rightfully yours.

Can personal injury cases be resolved without going to court?

In many situations, a personal injury case can be resolved without going to court via mediation, or arbitration. This saves both parties time and money as opposed to court through an entire trial.

What do you do after being involved in an accident?

If you have been involved in an accident it is imperative you stop, protect the scene of the incident, call the police if you are able to, give an accurate account of what occurred, take pictures, exchange information with the other individuals involved, get medical attention if needed, report the incident to your insurance company, and keep a thorough file of all medical expenses, repairs, etc. that you incur.

How much time do I have to file a personal injury case in Tennessee?

In Tennessee, you have one year from the date of the accident to pursue a personal injury claim. If you fail to meet the one-year deadline, your claim will be barred from compensation.

What types of damages could I receive?

If you are involved in a personal injury accident, you can receive economic damages like medical bills, lost wages, property damages, and any out-of-pocket expenses as well as damages for mental anguish.

In some cases where the court deems the other party to be especially negligent, you may also be awarded punitive damages.

What happens to my case if I was partly at fault?

Tennessee adheres to a comparative negligence system where the victim may be awarded damages even if they were partly to blame. However, that amount will be adjusted by the level of a fault the victim is responsible for.

What do I do if I’m injured at work?

If you are injured at work, you need to seek medical attention. Then notify the proper parties at work of the accident. Finally, complete the appropriate workers’ compensation forms.

What happens to my case if I have a pre-existing condition?

If you have a pre-existing condition, you are still able to collect damages for the accident but they may be reduced to account for your condition. However, you may be able to hold the other party responsible for aggravating your condition.

Tennessee Personal Injury Lawyers

At Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC, we understand the pain you are going through which is why our experienced Tennessee personal injury attorneys are equipped to help. If you have been injured due to someone’s negligence, we will explore your legal options and protect your rights. Please contact our office today to set up a consultation so we can discuss your claim.

We Can Help

If you need legal assistance regarding personal injury faq matters, contact us online or call us at (615) 800-7096 today for a free consultation with an experienced attorney.