Modification of Parenting Plans

The court approves a permanent parenting plan with the best interest of the children in mind. But what happens if circumstances change and you need to change the agreement? Is it possible to make a modification of parenting plans? At Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC, we get asked this question often. Our team of expert child custody lawyers provides high-quality legal services to clients through Tennessee who need assistance with child custody and visitation schedules. With the many complexities facing a parenting plan modification, you need to go with an attorney that has the experience and know-how to make sure the court accepts your proposed changes.

Parenting Plans in Tennessee: What You Should Know

If you’re going through a divorce and there are children involved, you are required by Tennessee law to create a parenting plan. This legal document contains a child custody and support plan that was negotiated by the parents. It will lay out the child custody arrangement, the parent visitation schedule, and parenting time for holidays and school breaks.

When the court is determining a permanent parenting plan, it considers all relevant factors in its decisions which include:

  • The child’s relationship with the parents
  • The ability each parent has to provide for the child’s basic needs such as food, healthcare, and education
  • Which parent will be the primary caregiver
  • The parents’ willingness to perform parental responsibilities
  • The mental and physical health of the parents
  • If there is a history of abuse

If the child is over the age of 12, the court may also consider the preference the child has on a custodial parent.

Modification of Parenting Plans

But what if circumstances have changed and the parenting plan no longer works? Is it possible to change the agreement?

Material Change in Circumstances

When a parent wishes to change the pre-existing child custody arrangement, he or she must prove there was a material change in circumstances. Simply, a material change in circumstance is anything that alters the conditions of the child’s life to such a degree that changes in custody need to be made.

Such examples of a material change in circumstances include:

  • A parent wishing to relocate with the child
  • A parent becoming unfit to care for the child
  • A parent becoming more capable of caring for the child, such as having a change in income, overcoming hardship, etc.
  • Change in work schedule
  • Changes to the child’s needs
  • A failure to abide by the original parenting plan by one or both parents.

Like child support modification, you can modify the parenting plan after the divorce. 

Although changing a parenting schedule is a minor change in which you and your ex may be able to work outside a courtroom, modifying the custody arrangement is a different story. You will need to ask the court for a modification of custody and prove there was a material change of circumstances to qualify for the alteration. The court will need to reexamine the situation to assess whether a custody change is in the best interest of the child.

How Our Tennessee Child Custody Lawyer Can Help

For decades, the Nashville child custody lawyers at Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC have been helping clients across the state by modifying their permanent parenting plans. Providing evidence is key to a successful modification, and we will work with you to get the information needed to show an alteration is necessary. Our attorneys will walk you through the process and help you with the paperwork.

If you are considering a modification to your permanent parenting plan, you’re going to need an experienced family law attorney to help you. Contact Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC now to learn more.

We Can Help

If you need legal assistance regarding modification of parenting plans matters, contact us online or call us at (615) 800-7096 today for a free consultation with an experienced attorney.