Blocks spelling out Child Support

Child Support

Child Support Lawyer

Supporting your child is not just a moral duty but a legal one as well. Regardless of your relationship status with your former partner, ensuring your child’s financial well-being remains essential. Neglecting this responsibility could lead to serious legal consequences, including arrest and imprisonment, ultimately harming your child more.

At MHPS, we understand the complexities surrounding child support issues. Our team of dedicated child support lawyers in Nashville is here to guide you through securing a just child support arrangement, whether pursuing an initial order, seeking modifications to an existing order, or enforcing child support payments. Let us provide the legal support you need to protect your child’s future.

Father with kid after getting a child support lawyer for men

The Basics of Child Support Legal Help

Child support is a legally mandated financial contribution from a non-custodial parent to assist in the upbringing and welfare of their child. It’s designed to cover essential expenses such as food, shelter, education, and healthcare, ensuring the child’s needs are met regardless of parental relationship changes. When navigating the complexities of establishing, modifying, or enforcing these vital support orders, specialized legal help becomes invaluable.

Family after working with a child support lawyer

How is Child Support Determined?

In Tennessee, child support payments are determined based on state guidelines that consider several key factors:

  • The incomes of both parents
  • The amount of time each parent spends with the child
  • The number of children receiving support
  • The cost of the child or children’s health insurance

Under Tennessee law, the court has the final say in child support matters. A judge assesses the custodial parent’s financial needs to cover essential expenses like food, housing, and health care for the child. Depending on each parent’s financial capabilities, the judge may also mandate the non-custodial parent to contribute to extra-curricular activities or medical insurance costs.

Child support obligations in Tennessee generally last until the child graduates high school or turns 18, whichever happens last. However, if the child becomes emancipated, the obligation ends.

Can Child Support Be Modified?

Changes in financial situations, such as job loss, can significantly impact your ability to keep up with child support payments, potentially leading to legal issues. Modifying your child support order is possible, but this is limited to specific circumstances. You must demonstrate that the current order is inadequate, excessive, or that the child’s needs have changed, requiring additional support such as extra medical care.

You can request the court to adjust the payment amount with the required evidence. This process highlights the importance of consulting an experienced child support attorney to navigate the complexities of modifying your order. It’s important to remember that only future payments can be modified, not those already missed or due.

Man with child after child support modification

Child support money

What Happens if You Don’t Pay Child Support?

Falling behind on child support payments carries serious consequences in Tennessee. The Child Support Services Enforcement division takes non-payment seriously and has several measures to compel compliance, including:

  • Revocation of your driver’s license
  • Placement of liens on your property
  • Seizure of bank accounts
  • Denial of your passport application
  • Garnishment of tax refunds
  • Negative impacts on your credit report

These actions can significantly disrupt your life, highlighting the importance of addressing child support issues proactively with the help of a skilled child support attorney.

Our Nashville Child Support Attorneys Are Here to Help

Ensuring your children’s financial security is paramount, and achieving a favorable outcome in your case requires the expertise of a dedicated lawyer. With the right blend of experience and knowledge, a child support modification lawyer at MHPS is committed to securing the best possible results for you and your family in Tennessee.

If you need child support legal help, contact MHPS today for more information.