When a Parent Fails to Follow a TN Parenting Plan

It’s no shock that custody battles can become heated, especially when one party isn’t willing to compromise. Unfortunately, it becomes even more complicated when one parent fails to follow the court-approved TN parenting plan. But what can you do in these situations?

Understanding the TN Parenting Plan

When child custody cannot be determined by the parents, the court will intervene and establish what is known as a permanent parenting plan (PPP)  This establishes each parent’s co-parenting time, rights to decision-making ability for the child, and child support.

These plans must be followed according to the laws of Tennessee Code Annotated, section 36-6-502. This means that if one parent does not follow the TN parenting plan, they can be held in contempt of court, resulting in legal ramifications. This can include fines or jail time.

While you may not be eager to bring your ex to court for his or her failure to follow the TN parenting plan, it’s important to take steps in order to build your case should it come to it. This includes documenting any violations such as messages that indicate he or she is not going to follow the plan.

However, while the word “permanent” is part of the name, it’s important to know that these documents are only permanent until a change must occur to the formal document.

Revising a TN Permanent Parenting Plan

Revising a TN parenting plan is not as complicated as it may seem. Having your affairs in order will be critical.

The first step in revising a TN permanent parenting plan is to illustrate that there has been a “material change in circumstances” in the life of the child. This may include:

  • Age-related changes
  • Changes in the parent’s living or working conditions
  • Failing to follow the parenting plan, etc.

The court will create a new parenting plan that suits the best interests of the child once a material change in circumstances is established.

We know that child custody plan modifications can quickly become contentious–but it doesn’t have to be.

Parent Not Following Your Parenting Plan? Call MHPS Law

For years, the Nashville child custody lawyers at MHPS have been helping clients across the state by modifying their permanent parenting plans. Our attorneys will walk you through the process and help you with the paperwork. Your child deserves stability. Let us help.

If you are considering a modification to your permanent parenting plan, you need an experienced family law attorney. Contact MHPS now to learn more.

Ready to Get Started?

You don’t have to face a legal case alone. Get the support and guidance you need to make informed decisions and navigate the complexities of the law. Reach out today, and let’s take the first step together.