Nashville View

Modification of Final Judgments

Family Law Attorneys Assisting Individuals in the Nashville Area

In some instances, circumstances may change so drastically that modifying the previously settled terms of a divorce is necessary to move forward toward the future. Modifications of final judgments, however, may require detailed and extensive evidence regarding these changes in circumstances. Obtaining a modification may become even more complicated when the parties involved do not see eye-to-eye. The family law lawyers at Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard PLLC are dedicated to helping Nashville residents and other individuals in Tennessee pursue a future that suits their needs and goals.

We understand that important matters like jobs, finances, health, and personal relationships can shift with time. Therefore, sometimes modifications of child or spousal support are appropriate. MHPS, PLLC represents clients throughout Davidson and Williamson Counties who need help modifying a final judgment. If your circumstances have changed after your divorce, and you need legal guidance on how to proceed, contact our office to find out how we can help.

Seeking to Modify a Final Judgment after Dissolving a Marriage

Significant changes after a divorce is finalized can lead one party to seek a modification in child support, spousal support, or visitation arrangements that have already been deemed final by the court. To receive a modification of a final judgment, the requesting party must file a petition with the court and show that there has been a substantial and material change in circumstances since the judgment was entered.

Many different situations may qualify as “a substantial and material change” under Tennessee law. For example, losing a job, developing an illness or a disability, going into retirement, getting remarried, or having more children may warrant the modification of a final judgment. These are very fact-specific evaluations, however, and the outcome will depend on the details of each case. Generally, a court will require a showing that a parent’s income has changed by at least 15 percent to modify a child support order. However, the court may also take into consideration significant changes in the needs of a child, such as if he or she requires special medical attention or education.

One parent may also be subject to relocation out of state, or even the country, as a result of a job transfer, military transfer, or remarriage. This may require modifications to child visitation agreements. Regardless of the type of life change that occurs, seeking these modifications requires time, effort, and legal knowledge. Consulting an experienced family law attorney is important to articulating a persuasive argument about your situation.

Seek Legal Guidance in Nashville for a Divorce Matter

Although finalizing a divorce is often a difficult process, and something that both spouses want to put behind them swiftly, sometimes there may be additional obstacles to overcome. The knowledgeable divorce attorneys at Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard PLLC offer experienced representation to individuals in the Nashville area and beyond. We also assist clients in Franklin, as well as Green Hills, Belleview, and Hillsboro Village. If you need legal help pursuing a modification of a final judgment, or resisting a modification, contact us online or call us at 615-800-7096 to start exploring your options.