Matt has been recognized locally, statewide and nationally for his expertise in the area of Trust and Estate Litigation. With a background in elder law, family law and business litigation, Matt now devotes his practice exclusively to resolving family disputes in Will Contests, Estate Litigation, Conservatorships, Breaches of Fiduciary Duty and Trust Disputes.
A native Memphian, Matt received his undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of Memphis in 2003 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 2006.
During his law school summers, Matt studied international and comparative law at University College Dublin School of Law, the University of Edinburgh Law School and the European Union Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
Matt began his legal career as a hearing officer and later Assistant General Counsel for the Tennessee Department of Human Services.
In 2008, Matt moved to private practice and founded the Law Office of Matt Potempa, PLLC. In addition to a general practice, the firm focused on litigation and resolving probate, matrimonial and business disputes.
Matt is active in the Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations. He was honored to receive the Nashville Bar Association’s President’s Award in 2010 for his work in providing Disaster Legal Services after the May 2010 floods. Matt is a recipient of the Nashville Bar Association YLD’s Leadership Award, the Tennessee Bar Association YLD’s President’s Award and is a fellow of the Tennessee and American Bar Associations.
A Board of Director of the Nashville Bar Association from 2012 to 2016, Matt currently serves as First Vice President Elect and is a Hearing Panel Member for the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility.
Matt has been named by the Nashville Post as one of twenty "Law Leaders Rising" in the Nashville area, has received the Nashville Chamber of Commerce's Emerging Leader Award in the Legal Services category and is a Thompson Reuters Super Lawyer in the area of Estate and Trust Litigation.
Matt is a frequent lecturer for the Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations as well as LexisNexis and the Nashville Business Institute on topics related to Probate Administration and Litigation, Law Practice Management, Client Relations, Professional Ethics and Law Office Technology.
Matt is a founding partner at Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC.
With an office located in the heart of Hillsboro Village near downtown Nashville, the firm focuses on providing Estate and Trust Planning, Family Wealth Preservation, Probate and Business Litigation and Conflict Resolution, Conservatorships and Guardianships as well as Family Law and Personal Injury.
- Nashville Business Journal, 2016 Best of the Bar Award Nominee
- Inducted as a Fellow to the Nashville Bar Foundation, 2016
- Inducted as a Fellow to the American Bar Foundation, 2016
- Tennessee Supreme Court, Board of Professional Responsibility, 2012-2018 Hearing Panel Member
- Nashville Post, January 2012 named one of twenty one “Law Leaders Rising”
- 2013 Recipient, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce: Emerging Leader Award Winner in Legal Services Category
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce: 2010, 2011 and 2012 Nashville Emerging Leader Awards Finalist in Legal Services Category
- 2016 - First Vice President
- 2012-2016 – Member, Governance Committee
- 2012-2016 – Member, Board of Directors
- 2015-2016 – Member, Technology Committee
- 2010 President’s Award for Bar-at-Large
- 2010 Young Lawyers Division Leadership Award
- 2010 Disaster Legal Services Coordinator in response to May floods
- 2010-2012 Solo/Small Firm Committee, Founder and Co-Chair
- 2010-2011 Modest Means Panel Member
- 2010-2011 Lawyers Care Committee, Co-Chair
- 2009-2010 Non-Profit Showcase Founder (in conjunction with Young Leaders Council and Center for Nonprofit Management)
- Community Outreach Co-Chair
- 2008-2010 Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- June 2013, Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law (TBALL) Graduate
- January 2008, January 2009, June 2010, June 2011 and June 2012 – Star of the Quarter Award
- 2009-2013 Disaster Legal Services Committee Member
- 2009-2013 Representative to American Bar Association
- 2008-2009 Tennessee Continuing Legal Education Chair
- June 2008 President’s Special Recognition Award
- 2007-2008 Continuing Legal Education, Middle Tennessee Chair
- Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- 2009-2010 Transitional Legal Education Co-Chair
- 2008-2010 Continuing Legal Education Board Member
- 2015-2016 Law Practice Division Fellow
- 2011-2012 Nashville Conference Host Committee Chair – secured and organized Nashville as host site for ABA YLD’s Spring 2012 meeting
- 2011-2012 National Public Service Project Coordinator – Design and implementation of national pro-bono initiative “Project Salute: Young Lawyers Serving Veterans”
- 2010 National Outstanding Young Lawyer Nominee
- 2009-2011 Judicial Division Council Member
- 2009-2011 Young Lawyers Division District Representative (Tennessee and Kentucky)
- Responsible for coordinating pro-bono legal services with FEMA in response to federally-declared disasters
- 2008-2010 International Law Section, Lawyers Lifestyle Taskforce Advisory Board Member
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce, Judge of Emerging Leader Awards' Legal Services, 2014-2016
- Young Leaders Council – Alumnus, Class 56, Spring 2011
- Belcourt Theater – 2011-2012, Board Member
- Phoenix Club of Nashville
- 2015-2016 Board Member, Liaison to PENCIL Foundation of Nashville
- 2009-2012 Board Member
- 2009 Equinox Ball Chair
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: "Everything you Need to Know to Go Solo", February 2017
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Webcast Presentation: "Conflicts and Confidentiality for New Lawyers", November 2016
- American Bar Association Law Practice Division Member Spotlight - Featured Attorney, March 2016
- American Bar Association, Center for Professional Development, CLE Webinar: "Mind Your Own Business: Just DO IT! Tips for Understanding What Your Law Firm Needs from You", November, 2015
- Tennessee Attorneys Memo, CLE Presentation: "The Probate Process", November 2015
- National Business Institute, CLE Presentation "The Ultimate Guide to Probate”, May 2015
- Nashville Bar Foundation 2015 Leadership Class, “Finding a Method to the Madness”, March 2015
- University of Tennessee College of Law, “Leadership and Leaving a Lasting Legacy”, August 2014
- National Business Institute, CLE Presentation: Probate Bootcamp, “Educating the Personal Representative” and “Spouse’s Elective Share vs. Second Probate”, May 2014 - December2015
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Ethics Presentation: “Opening a Law Practice and Getting New Business”, February 2014
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: Transactional Practice “Probate: A Practical Primer”, October 2013
- Nashville Bar Association, CLE Presentation: “Impact of New Conservatorship Legislation”, October 2013
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Lecture to Leadership Class: “Leadership and Leaving a Lasting Legacy”, August 2013
- Middle Tennessee Paralegal Association, Lunch and Learn Presentation: “Maintaining a Healthy Work-Life Balance While Thriving in a Law Firm”, March 2013
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: “Law Practice Succession for Small Firms or Solo Practitioners”, September 2012
- Tennessee Attorneys Memo, CLE Presentation: “Social Networking for Lawyers: Proceed With Caution”, November 2011
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, National Teleconference Presentation: “Integrating Pro Bono Into Your Practice”, September 2011.
- Tennessee Bar Association, General Practice Bootcamp, CLE Presentation: “Opportunity for New Business: Maintaining a Steady Stream of New Clients”, August 2011.
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: Transitional Legal Education for New Bar Admittees: Beginning and Ending the Lawyer/Client Relationship, June 2011, November 2011, June 2012, November 2012 and June 2013
- American Bar Association/Federal Emergency Management Association Annual Training, Chicago, IL, “When Disaster Strikes: Mobilizing Disaster Legal Services”, June 2011.
- Author: “Protect Your Freedom and Fortune by Executing a Durable Power of Attorney”, Forward Focus, Spring 2010.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Leadership Law, CLE Presentation: “Ethics of Social Networking for Lawyers”, May 2010.
- LexisNexis, CLE Presentation: “Ethical Concerns of Social Networking for Lawyers”, May 2010.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Tenn Bar U Webcast CLE Presentation: “Introduction to Social Networking for Lawyers”, August 2009.
- Author: Misconceptions in the Generation Gap: The Times They are a’ Changin’, Tennessee Young Lawyer, Volume 3, Issue 4, Summer 2008.