Matt Potempa devotes his law practice exclusively to resolving family disputes in Will Contests, Estate Litigation, Conservatorships, Breaches of Fiduciary Duty, Real Property and Trust Disputes.
A native Memphian, Matt received his undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of Memphis in 2003 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 2006. Matt studied international and comparative law at University College Dublin School of Law, the University of Edinburgh Law School and the European Union Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The experience ignited a lifetime passion for travel that has since taken Matt to more than 35 countries around the globe.
In 2008, Matt founded the Law Office of Matt Potempa, PLLC focusing on litigation and resolving probate, matrimonial and business disputes.
Matt is active in the Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations and has received numerous accolades for his service to the public and the legal profession. Matt is a Fellow of the Nashville and American Bar Associations.
The Nashville Post named Matt as a “Law Leader Rising” in 2012. The Nashville Chamber of Commerce awarded him their Emerging Leader Award in the Legal Services category in 2015. He was named “Best of the Bar” in 2016 and 2017 by the Nashville Business Journal and designated a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters in 2016 and 2017, a distinction achieved by less than 5% of Tennessee attorneys.
Matt is a frequent lecturer for the Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations as well as LexisNexis and the Nashville Business Institute on topics related to Probate Administration and Litigation, Law Practice Management, Client Relations, Professional Ethics and Law Office Technology.
Matt is a founding partner at Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, PLLC.
With an office located in the heart of Hillsboro Village near downtown Nashville, MHPS focuses on providing Estate and Trust Planning, Family Wealth Preservation, Probate and Business Litigation and Conflict Resolution, Conservatorships and Guardianships as well as Family Law and Personal Injury.
Matt and his wife Kates live in the Historic Belmont neighborhood with their son Philip and two dogs, Gooseberry and Houston.
- Designated as a "Super Lawyer" by Thomas Reuters, 2016 and 2017
- Nashville Business Journal, 2016 and 2017 "Best of the Bar"
- Inducted as a Fellow to the Nashville Bar Foundation, 2016
- Inducted as a Fellow to the American Bar Foundation, 2016
- Tennessee Supreme Court, Board of Professional Responsibility, 2012-2018 Hearing Panel Member
- Nashville Post, January 2012 named one of twenty one “Law Leaders Rising”
- 2013 Recipient, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce: Emerging Leader Award Winner in Legal Services Category
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce: 2010, 2011 and 2012 Nashville Emerging Leader Awards Finalist in Legal Services Category
- 2018 – Representative to American Bar Association House of Delegates
- 2016 – First Vice President
- 2012-2016 – Member, Governance Committee
- 2012-2016 – Member, Board of Directors
- 2015-2016 – Member, Technology Committee
- 2010 – President’s Award for Bar-at-Large
- 2010 – Young Lawyers Division Leadership Award
- 2010 – Disaster Legal Services Coordinator in response to May floods
- 2010-2012 – Solo/Small Firm Committee, Founder and Co-Chair
- 2010-2011 – Modest Means Panel Member
- 2010-2011 – Lawyers Care Committee, Co-Chair
- 2009-2010 – Non-Profit Showcase Founder (in conjunction with Young Leaders Council and Center for Nonprofit Management)
- Community Outreach Co-Chair
- 2008-2010 – Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- June 2013 – Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law (TBALL) Graduate
- January 2008, January 2009, June 2010, June 2011 and June 2012 – Star of the Quarter Award
- 2009-2013 – Disaster Legal Services Committee Member
- 2009-2013 – Representative to American Bar Association
- 2008-2009 – Tennessee Continuing Legal Education Chair
- June 2008 – President’s Special Recognition Award
- 2007-2008 – Continuing Legal Education, Middle Tennessee Chair
- Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- 2009-2010 – Transitional Legal Education Co-Chair
- 2008-2010 – Continuing Legal Education Board Member
- 2016-2018 – Law Practice Division, Lawyer Wellness Committee Vice Chair
- 2017-2018 – Law Practice Division, Outreach Committee Vice Chair
- 2015-2016 – Law Practice Division Fellow
- 2011-2012 – Nashville Conference Host Committee Chair – secured and organized Nashville as host site for ABA YLD’s Spring 2012 meeting
- 2011-2012 – National Public Service Project Coordinator – Design and implementation of national pro-bono initiative “Project Salute: Young Lawyers Serving Veterans”
- 2010 – National Outstanding Young Lawyer Nominee
- 2009-2011 – Judicial Division Council Member
- 2009-2011 – Young Lawyers Division District Representative (Tennessee and Kentucky)
- Responsible for coordinating pro-bono legal services with FEMA in response to federally-declared disasters
- 2008-2010 – International Law Section, Lawyers Lifestyle Taskforce Advisory Board Member
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce, Judge of Emerging Leader Awards' Legal Services, 2014-2016
- Young Leaders Council – Alumnus, Class 56, Spring 2011
- Belcourt Theater – 2011-2012, Board Member
- Phoenix Club of Nashville
- 2015-2016 – Board Member, Liaison to PENCIL Foundation of Nashville
- 2009-2012 – Board Member
- 2009 – Equinox Ball Chair
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: "Wellness for Our Profession; Science Based Strategies that Work", December, 2017
- American Bar Association, Law Practice Today Article: "Tips for Dealing with Difficult People", August 2017
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: "Everything you Need to Know to Go Solo", February 2017, February 2018
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Webcast Presentation: "Conflicts and Confidentiality for New Lawyers", November 2016
- American Bar Association Law Practice Division Member Spotlight - Featured Attorney, March 2016
- American Bar Association, Center for Professional Development, CLE Webinar: "Mind Your Own Business: Just DO IT! Tips for Understanding What Your Law Firm Needs from You", November, 2015
- Tennessee Attorneys Memo, CLE Presentation: "The Probate Process", November 2015
- National Business Institute, CLE Presentation "The Ultimate Guide to Probate”, May 2015
- Nashville Bar Foundation 2015 Leadership Class, “Finding a Method to the Madness”, March 2015
- University of Tennessee College of Law, “Leadership and Leaving a Lasting Legacy”, August 2014
- National Business Institute, CLE Presentation: Probate Bootcamp, “Educating the Personal Representative” and “Spouse’s Elective Share vs. Second Probate”, May 2014 - December2015
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Ethics Presentation: “Opening a Law Practice and Getting New Business”, February 2014
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: Transactional Practice “Probate: A Practical Primer”, October 2013
- Nashville Bar Association, CLE Presentation: “Impact of New Conservatorship Legislation”, October 2013
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Lecture to Leadership Class: “Leadership and Leaving a Lasting Legacy”, August 2013
- Middle Tennessee Paralegal Association, Lunch and Learn Presentation: “Maintaining a Healthy Work-Life Balance While Thriving in a Law Firm”, March 2013
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: “Law Practice Succession for Small Firms or Solo Practitioners”, September 2012
- Tennessee Attorneys Memo, CLE Presentation: “Social Networking for Lawyers: Proceed With Caution”, November 2011
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, National Teleconference Presentation: “Integrating Pro Bono Into Your Practice”, September 2011.
- Tennessee Bar Association, General Practice Bootcamp, CLE Presentation: “Opportunity for New Business: Maintaining a Steady Stream of New Clients”, August 2011.
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: Transitional Legal Education for New Bar Admittees: Beginning and Ending the Lawyer/Client Relationship, June 2011, November 2011, June 2012, November 2012 and June 2013
- American Bar Association/Federal Emergency Management Association Annual Training, Chicago, IL, “When Disaster Strikes: Mobilizing Disaster Legal Services”, June 2011.
- Author: “Protect Your Freedom and Fortune by Executing a Durable Power of Attorney”, Forward Focus, Spring 2010.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Leadership Law, CLE Presentation: “Ethics of Social Networking for Lawyers”, May 2010.
- LexisNexis, CLE Presentation: “Ethical Concerns of Social Networking for Lawyers”, May 2010.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Tenn Bar U Webcast CLE Presentation: “Introduction to Social Networking for Lawyers”, August 2009.
- Author: Misconceptions in the Generation Gap: The Times They are a’ Changin’, Tennessee Young Lawyer, Volume 3, Issue 4, Summer 2008.