Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation
Estate planning and family wealth preservation is all about with having sound, strategic planning that provides creative solutions to allow families to preserve, protect and manage their wealth. The accumulation of assets and wealth comes from hard work and determination. Regardless of the size of a person’s estate and the amount of family wealth, it is of primary importance to the family that their wealth is protected and preserved. Protecting the fruits of that labor and resolve is essential. We help business owners, executives, and individuals effectively plan for the financial ramifications of marriages, major lifetime events, disability and death.
Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC helps clients who have different sizes of wealth and all types of assets, including business owners, real estate owners, executives and other individuals, comprehensively plan for the present and future. More specifically, we help clients accomplish their goals tax-efficiently; assist in planning for the smooth transition of family and help individuals adequately provide for the care of loved ones, including those with special needs.
Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC serves clients throughout middle Tennessee and beyond. From Green Hills, Brentwood and Franklin, to Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville and Gallatin. Many client come from outside the Nashville area including Murfreesboro, Clarksville, Cookeville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga and points in between.
Traditional Estate Planning Services Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC’s many traditional estate planning services include:
- Preparing wills and all types of revocable and irrevocable trusts, including irrevocable life insurance trusts and gift trusts
- Addressing marital trust issues related to second marriages and non-citizen spouses
- Planning for the protection of the wealth from divorce, creditors and people outside the family
- Disability planning, including preparation of powers of attorney for health care and property, living wills, and HIPAA authorizations
- Drafting prenuptial agreements
Sophisticated Wealth Preservation Services Individuals Many of Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC’s clients frequently require specialized assistance to effectively preserve, and plan for the distribution and transition of, their family assets and wealth. We help our clients preserve wealth for the next generation, protect their beneficiaries, avoid or help mitigate the taxable effects of various activities, accomplish effective generational transfers, and facilitate charitable gifting.
Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC applies our experience to go beyond other firms. While many people primarily focus on tax reduction as the main wealth preservation strategy, Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC takes the planning further to include many non tax issues such as:
- Protecting the family wealth from a new spouse if the surviving spouse remarries.
- Protecting the family wealth for the children and grandchildren from divorce.
- Protecting the family wealth for the children and grandchildren from creditors.
Specifically, Martin Heller Potempa & Sheppard, LLC helps our clients by:
- Assisting with business and asset transition planning, including the use of buy/sell agreements and other tax-effective mechanisms such as sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts
- Planning for generation-skipping transfers and creating descendant trusts, including dynasty trusts
- Developing tax-efficient gifting strategies for the transfer of wealth, including the use of grantor retained annuity trusts and qualified personal residence trusts
- Developing and implementing asset protection strategies
- Counseling on the formation and operation of family limited partnerships
- Creating charitable giving strategies, including the use of charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts, and advising on the formation and operation of private foundations